Friday, April 4, 2008

AMF King Cobra Bowling Ball Poster


Funny thing about Freelance Illustration we found out. Sometimes if an Art Director did not see a sample of a specific item in your portfolio, they figured you could not hack it. On the other hand, they probably called you for a specific item they saw and figured that was all you did. Once you developed a working relationship it got easier to bridge the gap to other motifs. I luckily snagged my real first big assignment for a bowling company named Champion's Bowling. For awhile there I was doing bowling illustrations for numerous clients. This illustration was for AMF and was for the King Cobra ball. Certain clients were uncomfortable with the fact that I was working for both competitors, but ultimately it seemed, had me do the work, since they did not see anyone else doing it locally. I remember getting a bowling pin in order to figure out the shape and reflections.

2 comments:

  1. Sad to think that you would get pigeon-holed for one sort of art or another. I do a lot of photography work and tend to load my portfolio with all sorts of stuff so the client can get a feel for my depth. Then again, if someone gets it in their mind that you're this or that, they won't have the depth of vision to go with you. But that's the fun of freelancing!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it just happens with non-creative types. It's like they have no idea how to even approach a new idea on their own. When you show them it's like you've made some kind of bridge for them to the "island of the unknown" and now you're the only person that can get them there.

    ReplyDelete