Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Michael Haynes - Lewis and Clark Figurines for DMA


One of the things I enjoy doing sometimes is working with other artists on illustrations. Whether it be, doing under drawings, backgrounds or colorizing their artwork and vice versa. In the case of the the Lewis and Clark figurines that we did for DesignMasters, we worked with Michael Haynes to create a series of Lewis and Clark Anniversary. He is a notable historic artist. http://www.mhaynesart.com/Home.html. In this case, we hired him to do the initial drawings and also provide historical guidance for coloration and costuming. As I colorized his drawings, I sent them for his approval. The top image shows his front drawings. The middle image shows his drawings colorized by me digitally. It is also important to note that in some cases we shifted or eliminated items as needed in order to make sure that production of these figurines would be possible. All I am showing are the front views, but we had to show all four side views for sculpting reference. The bottom image is just a selection of closeups to show a little more detailing. Again, I want to stress that the initial figure drawings were not mine. I was the digital colorist and I in no way shape or form claim anything beyond that. As soon as I find some more sculpts or pictures of them, I will post the finished product.The products were sold in the Gateway Arch Giftshop as part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition 200th Anniversary.

4 comments:

  1. Incredible coloring Keith. You've really mastered using the computer to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. I guess it was developed more out of necessity. Love having flexibility in changing colors and positioning, not to mention the speed. Although, I think I would find it hard to do something like you do digitally, at least for me that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael is a good friend of ours and I love your color work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I am a big fan of Michael's work. Really exceptional.

      Delete