Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lewis & Clark Annual Report Illustration

This was an illustration for a Heilig-Meyers Annual Report through Barber Martin. I remember that the main goal was to match the look of Thomas Moran's Style of Mountains. I had never tried to emulate a style like that and at first I wasn't sure I wanted to try. Ultimately the need to eat and pay bills was enough motivation. This was one of my first payed jobs for which I used a combination of oils and acrylics. I did not feel comfortable enough to paint only in oils so they only played a part in certain areas. The rest was acrylic and colored pencil. The thing I remember most about this, was that we rented a costume for us to wear and take photos. We commonly posed for one another. Pep posed for both Lewis and Clark. I was extremely happy with the background and clouds. Okay with the figures. Coincidentally I ended up rendering another artist's (Michael Haynes) pencil drawings for sculpts of Lewis and Clark in my current job. The reference and detailing for those were great. I will post the drawings and hopefully photos of the sculpts later.

No comments:

Post a Comment